Is it an Emergency?

In a critical or life threatening situation go to your nearest A&E hospital department or if you think immediate treatment by paramedics is needed call 999 for an ambulance.

An emergency is a critical or life threatening situation like:

  • Loss of consciousness
  • Heavy bleeding (except periods)
  • Suspected broken bones
  • Rash that does not fade when you press a glass tumbler or finger against it
  • Chest pain for 15 minutes or more
  • Breathing difficulties – if someone is struggling for breath or turning blue
  • Overdose or swallowing something harmful or poisonous
  • Deep wound, like a stab wound

What do I do in an Emergency?

In many cases the quickest way to get help is to go to your nearest A&E department. If you think immediate treatment by paramedics is needed call 999 for an ambulance.

You should call an ambulance and not move the person:

  • If you think they may have hurt their back or neck or have another injury that might be made worse by moving them
  • If they are unconscious
  • If they are in shock and need constant attention
  • If they have severe chest pain or problems breathing

Is it serious but not an Emergency?

Call NHS 111 or call the practice on 01923 231633 for telephone advice or to make an appointment – let one of our receptionists know you think it is serious.

If the surgery is closed call the surgery out of hours number on 111.

You can also visit your nearest NHS Walk-in Centre (England only) if you don’t want to wait for an appointment. You can get nurse advice and treatment for many ailments and injuries and centres are usually open early until late.

Some people may be able to go to a Minor Injuries Unit for the treatment of some injuries although these are not in every area.

What do I go to a Minor Injuries Unit for?

A Minor Injuries unit is available at Mount Vernon Hospital. The Unit is open from 9am until 8pm, every day except Christmas day. You can contact reception on 01923 844201. The unit will be able to treat the following:

  • Cuts, grazes and bruising
  • Wounds, including those that may need stitches
  • Minor burns and scalds
  • Tetanus immunization after an injury
  • Removal of foreign bodies from eyes, nose or ears
  • Minor eye problems, including removal of contact lenses
  • Insect bites or other animal bites
  • Minor head injuries where there has been no loss of consciousness or vomiting
  • Removal of rings, earrings and studs
  • Minor injuries to legs below the knee, and arms below the elbow, where you can bear the weight through your foot or move your fingers
  • Minor nose bleeds

You will be treated by specially trained nurses who have the experience and expertise to treat people with minor injuries quickly and efficiently. They will contact a senior doctor when necessary.

What should I go to my pharmacy for?

Pharmacists can give you advice and treatment for many health problems and advice on how to improve your health – without the need for an appointment.

Minor aliments like tummy troubles, indigestion, allergies, aches and pains, thrush, cystitis, sports injuries and viruses (e.g. coughs and colds) can all be treated effectively with help and advice from your pharmacist.

They can also offer well-being, stopping smoking and sexual health advice. Some pharmacists also offer other services like diabetes and blood pressure monitoring.

Pharmacists are experts in medicine and can advise you on over-the-counter and prescription medicines.

Local Pharmacies

Abells 01923 235253
Esoms 0208 428 6806
Listers 0208 950 3370
Mastercare Ltd 0208 428 4719
JP Pharmacy 01923 223468
Boots The Harlequin 01923 223875
Heath 0208 950 1866
Jones 0208 428 1643
Prestwick Pharmacy 0208 421 2929
Tweens 0208 950 1263
Wyles 0208 950 1357
Prestwick 0208 4212929
Triangle 0208 9501357
Bushey 0208 9500934
Tee-Kay 01923 229955